Saturday, June 15, 2013

Bumps in the Road

This will be a short update with very little commentary.

I am in the hospital; here since Tuesday night and as of now I do not know how long I will be here. We are still dealing with the same blood infection I mentioned in the last post. We've gotten clean cultures several times and I was back to getting the Vitamin C infusions and had worked back up to 125 grams. But in May the fevers started again and blood cultures were drawn and I was treated with oral Bactrim and got the PICC line removed and a new one placed and got a clean culture again but in no time the fevers came back. Very frustrating!

So, then I say I am willing to do almost anything to treat it, short of going the ER route into the hospital.The infusion center stopped my Vitamin C infusions and recommended the ER route to the hospital for IV antibiotics again. I told them I would be happy to get a consult with their ID (infectious disease) doc on staff and do the IV antibiotics at home if they can set it all up for me. I was even willing to do four infusions daily. In the meantime I was having more coughing and more congestion and had developed new lumps along my jaw line and neck, as well as new sciatica pain in my left butt/thigh (a very new and never seen before symptom and three chiropractic adjustments and one acupuncture treatment didn't touch the pain). 

Time for some new scans; I got a next day appointment with the PA (physician's assistant) at the NM Cancer Center (her first name is Darling, lovely woman) and she ordered a PET/CT scan for last Monday. 

After the scan on Monday I got in to see Dr Andrea DeMeter, the ID doc at the infusion center for a consult. She was very thorough and said we need to go to the hospital and do IV Meropenem and do the necessary testing to find where in my body the Burkholderia Cepecia Complex is hiding. She thought that we've kept the Burky bug (my name for it) at bay enough to get it out of the blood, thus clean blood cultures. But it is a colonizer and can attach to blood vessels, joints, PICC lines, and any foreign devices in the body, and can thus surface again. Dr DeMeter thought my situation was very serious (even though she, like most medical people I've talked to, has not encountered the Burky bug), and that the burky bug could be hiding in my heart valves (endocarditis) and she said she was willing to work to get me a direct admit to the hospital through the ID doctors group that has privileges at Presbyterian Hospital. It was very nice of her to be willing to go the extra mile for me this way.

The last CT scan in March showed shrinkage of some tumors and no growth in others, good news. The scan last Tuesday showed increase in some of the tumors and lymph nodes plus new areas of inflammation. Both cancer and inflammation light up the same on a PET scan so further investigation was necessary to tease out what is what. But the scan didn't show anything to explain the severe pain I've been experiencing in the left butt/thigh. There were several places that were suspicious of bone metastasis  but not definitive.One thing it did show was pneumonia in my right lung. Once I saw that I decided I'd take Dr DeMeter up on her offer to get the direct admit, so the phone calls began. Next thing I knew I was told to show up to the hospital at 6:30 pm.

In hospital I've had IV Meropenem, my PICC line removed, a full body bone scan, two echocardiograms (one transthoracic, and one with an esophageal probe). The echocardiograms showed no infection, Yay! The info on the bone scan I've received is sketchy. One of the ID docs who has seen me once and never returned, and who has zero bedside manner and no communication skills, made an offhand comment that I had bone metasteses and that a bone scan cannot show infection. I've gotten conflicting info from others so I'm not sure of anything now. 

I have a very sweet, kind and polite hospital doc who is from Egypt, very handsome. He gets the info for me from the ID Doc that I refer to as Dr Dull, or Sans Character and passes on what he can but he didn't even know about my pain and that I was on narcotics, so even he is lacking in the communication area. Today and yesterday I heard from him that they have changed their minds about the original plan to keep me here for 4 to 5 days and give me a new PICC and send me home with IV antibiotics home care. Now, I'm being told they want to wait a week or two to place the new PICC. So how I can go home with a regular IV line and get my antibiotics and my Vitamin C infusions and my IPT treatments is a mystery. No ID docs are communicating. I have been told several times that Dr Dull is making rounds but he's not been by to see me for 2 days. WORD!

The pain is still bad and barely managed with a Fentanyl patch, Norco, Ibuprofen, and morphine shots. Standing and walking are better than sitting in the bed. Lying flat is the best. 

The nursing staff here are great and the food is decent. I know enough about my health issues to demand they inform me of what decisions are made and what orders they do. But with the communication so lacking I get a bit frustrated. The narcotics do help the mood though, and take the edge off enough that I can maintain a pretty good mood through the ups and downs of all the mistakes made in a hospital. And I do have a private room, so that makes it tolerable.

Questions to be resolved:
Where is the Burky bug hiding out?
Who will give me a copy of the bone scan? Some policy here says they cannot give me a copy but when I was here a year ago there were docs who took it upon themselves to print out a copy for me in spite of the hospital policy. They were women. 
How can I get my IVs done at home with no PICC?
What if I get re-exposed to the Burky bug while still getting IV Meropenam; will it kill it and I have no need to worry?
What the hell is causing the left side sciatica? All the spine issues on the bone scan do not correlate to the sciatic nerve.

As always, Mike is my hero and is taking good care of me and my needs, coming back and forth with things I need from home and taking care of Wiley and comforting him when he gets anxious without me there, plus working full time. He's the best!

Please do not worry about me. Send me love; I always say my body knows what to do with that! 

Now for a photo of Mike and me at Christmas in Richmond. 


10 comments:

  1. Love you, Sarah!
    Love you lots, lots, lots!
    Mary Corrado

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary, for all your support and love through all of this wild and bumpy road I've been on. See it getting flat and slowing down!
    Just need a little grace and grease.
    love and hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think about you often! Keep the Faith! Sending you love...Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Ann.
      Back at ya!
      love and hugs,
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. Sarah, Rex and I are sending you much love and big hugs/doggie kisses! Please let me know if you would like a visitor (human only; Rex sends his regrets) and if you would like some help from an almost-RN. I am more than happy to help in any way I can! At the very least, I could try to advocate for you to get copies of those scans. Sometimes, it's just the squeaky wheel.... I love your terms of endearment (and otherwise!) for the staff. Hilarious. Love, Kate & Rex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Yay Love!
      Thank you, Ot and Al.
      Love and hugs to you both.

      Delete
  6. Dear Sarah! Sending you mucho-mucho LOVE! And, I so admire your sense of humor and graciousness, you're amazing! Big hugs! Katrin in Brooklyn(ps- Jess is coming to visit me next week, all the way from NZ via NJ:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katri,
      Give Jess a hug for me and keep one for yourself.
      Love and Hugs!
      Sarah

      Delete