Friday, November 16, 2012

IPT Report


Yesterday was a wild adventure. We got to the oncologist's office on time  and waited and waited and waited. Seems she was running behind because of some computer problems. After over an hour and a half of waiting and waiting we cancelled the appointment and rescheduled for the 29th. Nobody apologized to us for the inconvenience. AAARRRGGGH!

Then we had to rush home and then head up to Santa Fe. Hennie was also running late so we waited and waited but were served tea and treated very graciously. Hennie is wonderful. I love her. She is a bit scattered and distracted but very smart and attentive and compassionate and did  I say smart? The IPT procedure was intense and having my glucose drop and feeling hypoglycemic was pretty uncomfortable and then the chemo drugs felt yucky. I’m so glad I’m not having regular chemo; the tiny amount yesterday was enough to make me pretty sickly.

She gave me glucose and a bunch of vitamins and amino acids and other nutrients in the IV to make me feel better, as I ate my long awaited lunch (I'd been fasting since 7 am.) It all helped but I've not  regained my perky self from yesterday prior to the IPT.  I was sleepy all the way home and crashed early last night. Then I was nauseous in
the night and woke up several times feeling worse until I finally vomited. I was better after that but woke up this morning still kinda nauseous. I didn't feel like eating anything today until about 11:30 and later I had some lunch when my appetite came back.

Earlier this morning I went to the Pres Infusion Center to get my Vit C IV. I was all comfy and situated in a hospital bed with my IV and my laptop and my food and  beverages. It's kinda pleasant though very different from Edie's office. The nicest part is that they have heated blankies and I love me a hot blankie! I had several nurses to help me and wait on me and  that's nice. I had the curtains on either side closed so I had a  bit of privacy, though I did see everyone coming and going.

My IPT treatments starting next week are in the mornings so I'm  hoping they will go more smoothly. And the more we do it the more  Hennie will get to know how to work with me and adjust the dosing. She impressed me with  her accessibility; she gave me her cell phone number and told me to  call her anytime if I'm having any weird symptoms or have any
 questions. Did I say I really really like her? ;-)

Anyway, I'm glad I had the few days of feeling so good because it makes this bearable. And I am so thankful for Mike. He took such good care of me yesterday. This whole adventure has certainly brought us much closer.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah - Speaking from recent experience, I can say that it makes a huge difference when you can work with people you like in surroundings that are comfortable. It sounds like all Hennie lacks is a heated blankie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sweet comment, John. You made me smile. Oops, did I just give your identity away, Mr Boatdog? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, Sarah. I've been trying to figure out how to change that Wordpress identity to my real name anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEarheart, Brave Brave you......I LOVE that you like Hennie and I SO agree with Boatdog, Hennie, get some heated blankies for Sarah......Healing juice and megaloves from Auckland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jess, thanks for the healing juice and megaloves! It all helps; keep it coming! Oh, and BTW, Hennie is from Baltimore. Yay! Check this out and watch her on the video...
      http://integratedhealthmedicalcenter.com/about-us/

      Delete